It certainly says a lot when you go to download the pictures from the week your sister came to visit and the majority of them are of your sick twins. It was certainly an unforgettable visit. We left off after our last post having had a fun day splashing at the pool. Well, Monday morning Madison and Kennedy woke up not feeling so well. I actually had taken this picture of Kennedy laying down watching TV with her bucket to get a little sympathy from Grandma (plenty was given, of course!). Little did I know, that was her at her best. I will spare you the details, but we'll skip ahead to the girls losing a lot of fluids from their tummies and spending the day doing a lot of lying around...
After finding Kennedy becoming more and more lethargic and listless, it was decided we better have her seen by the pediatrician. Which led to them deciding she was definitely dehydrated. Luckily for us, they were able to give her some I/V fluids right there in the office. Poor thing was feeling so tired and crummy that she didn't even protest in the slightest when they put the IV needle in....
Well, an hour later and they decided we could try going home. She wasn't quite where they wanted her but they hoped if we kept pushing fluids at home, we could pull her through. Well, they got the IV removed and as we were getting ready to leave the office, Kennedy started throwing up again. Which led the doctor to determine we actually were not going to be okay at home. We were admitted to the hospital for the night. I cannot even put into words how heartbreaking it was to see her lying in a hospital crib just so exhausted. It truly made me appreciate how fortunate we have been with our kids' health and truly grateful that it was only dehydration we were dealing with....something with an easy cure. I prayed a lot for Kennedy and my kids back home but I prayed a lot for parents of really sick children as well.
Well a solid night's sleep hooked up to IV fluids helped us wake up happy, alert and very very very puffy! She gained two pounds from the fluids. Look at that face!
She still wore out pretty easily, but she managed to keep down some breakfast and started roaming the halls making rounds and smiling at the nurses. She was ready to go home!
And Madison was so happy to see Sissy....
The happiness was short lived as Madison started following the same trajectory. She tried so hard to keep her energy level up but never lasted at much for very long.
She fell asleep trying to eat some crackers...
Casey ended up with a fever as well and since we were pediatrician bound anyway, I asked them to give her a quick look. She was bordering on dehydration but we were given the opportunity to try and push fluids at home. I just didn't want to put another little girl through all the I/V fun, so we went with giving it a try with the understanding that if she didn't take it in, we would return in the morning.
(they ran some labs to double check her glucose levels and hydration). The lab guy was great with her (and she was great for him....not even a cry). He managed to figure out her favorite color and fashioned her a bandaid out of purple tape :)
Well, we headed home and Daddy worked his magic and got water and saltines flowing into her and everything stayed in and down overnight and into the morning (which is a good thing because you will notice her bucket-holding technique would not have served her very well!)
So by Saturday morning we had everyone close to perfect health. And just in time to send Amy back to DC that afternoon. I am so bummed that illness consumed our entire visit together but am so very grateful that she was here with me to help with the kids and to help Corey and I simply get through those days. I love you Amy. (And I would be completely remiss if I didn't throw out a HUGE thank you to Grandma for stepping in every time her phone rang to help us out too!)











No comments:
Post a Comment